COVID-19 Update - May 18, 2020
Due to the coronavirus pandemic, the Town Clerk is processing marriage licenses BY APPOINTMENT ONLY. To request an appointment, please click here and submit a request form. All requests will be answered and appointments scheduled in the order in which they were received.
If you have any questions, or are unable to submit the web form via the link above, please contact the Town Clerk's office at (860) 652-7616 or email@example.com.
As of October 1, 2009, Marriage Licenses must be obtained in the town where the ceremony is to be held. There is no longer a requirement for premarital blood work or a waiting period in Connecticut.
To get a marriage license:
- Schedule an appointment with the Town Clerk's office by calling (860) 652-7616. Appointments are available Monday-Friday from 8:15 am - 3:45 pm.
- Both parties (bride/groom) must be present at the appointment with the following items:
- A valid photo ID (Driver's license, passport, etc.) for each individual
- A completed Marriage License Worksheet - This documents asks for general information about each person, including parents’ names/maiden names and the state or country of parents’ birth is required.
- The license fee of $50.00 in the form of cash or check made payable to the Town of Glastonbury, which is due at the time of the application
- Your marriage license will be typed while you wait, and you will leave with your license in hand. It is then valid for 65 days and must be used in Glastonbury.
After the ceremony has been performed, certified copies will be available at the Town Clerk's office, and subsequently in the towns of residence of both parties. Effective October 1, 2009, the fee for each certified copy is $20.00. The parties may prepay for certified copies at the time they pay their license fee and the certified copies will be mailed directly to the parties once the completed license is received from the officiator after the ceremony. See the Application link below for the form to request certified copies at any other time outside of the application process.
- Instructions for Applying for Marriage License
- Marriage License Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Application for Marriage License
- List of Glastonbury Justices of the Peace
Who Can Request a Certified Copy of a Marriage Certificate?
Converting Civil Union to a Marriage
Certified Copies of Marriage/Civil Union/Converted Civil Union to Marriage Certificates
Glastonbury’s Marriage records date back to 1693. Civil Union records start on October 1, 2005 and end September 30, 2010. Per state statute, all Marriage records are open to the public prior to July 1, 1997. Commencing July 1, 1997, the records are available without the Social Security Number, unless you are a qualified party by law as specified on the Request for Certified Copy of Marriage Certificate form. Effective October 1, 2009, certified copies are $20.00 per copy. A completed application and a legible copy of the applicant's photo identification along with the $20 payment must be submitted along with your Check or Money Order made payable to "Town of Glastonbury".
Certified copies of marriage/civil union/converted civil union to marriage certificates are available for marriages/civil unions/converted civil union to marriages that take place in Glastonbury and for marriages/civil unions/converted civil unions to marriages occurring outside of Glastonbury (but within Connecticut) if either party was a resident of Glastonbury at the time of the application.
Mail Completed Applications & Payment To:
Town of Glastonbury
PO Box 6523
2155 Main Street
Glastonbury, CT 06033-6523