Permit Requirements

Right-of-Way Licenses

A right-of-way license is required for work within the Town right-of-way or work on any portion of the Town sewer system, including sewer laterals.  This license must be renewed on a yearly basis at the Engineering Division Office for a charge of $15.00.  Proof of bond and insurance meeting the requirements below must be provided at the time of application for a right-of-way license.  Appropriate state licensure including plumbing licenses for storm drainage or sanitary sewer construction (P-1, P7, or W9) shall be demonstrated at the time of application for a right-of-way license.

Bond and insurance must be kept in effect for a period of one year after completion of the last work performed by the Contractor.

As described in the Town Code of Ordinances Section 17-101, right-of-way permits and licenses are non-transferable, meaning that each contractor working within the Town right-of-way must have a separate right-of-way license and permit for work being performed.

Bond Requirements ($5,000 Surety Bond)

As described in the Town Code of Ordinances Section 17-99, a surety bond shall be filed by the applicant for a right-of-way license with the Engineering Division Office. The surety bond shall be in the amount of five thousand dollars ($5,000) and shall be written by an indemnity or surety company authorized to transact business in the state and approved by the Town Manager or his agent. 

A copy of the Town's bond form is available here, or from the Engineering Division Office.

Insurance Certificate Requirements

As described in the Town Code of Ordinances Section 17-100, Contractors filing for a right-of-way license must obtain and keep in force appropriate Commercial General Liability and Automotive Liability insurance, and must furnish a valid certificate of insurance to the Engineering Division Office. Based on current Town Policy, the Contractor’s insurance must cover the Contractor and all of its agents, employees and subcontractors, and other providers of services as follows below.

1. The insurance policy shall name the Town of Glastonbury, its employees and agents as an "Additional Insured on a primary and non-contributory basis" on both the Commercial General Liability and Automobile Liability policies.

2.  A "Waiver of Subrogation in favor of the Town of Glastonbury" shall be provided on the Commercial General Liability, Automobile Liability, and the Worker's Compensation policies that are listed on the insurance certificate. 

3.  In the Certificate Holder Box, please type in the following name and address:  Town of Glastonbury Engineering Division, 2155 Main Street, PO Box 6523 Glastonbury CT, 06033

Commercial General Liability Limits:
Including Premises and Operations, Products and Completed Operations, Personal and Advertising Injury, Contractual Liability and Independent Contractors
Limits of Liability for Bodily Injury and Property Damage:
• Each Occurrence: $1,000,000
• Annual Aggregate: $2,000,000

Automobile Insurance Liability Limits:
Including all owned, hired, borrowed, and non-owned vehicles
Limit of Liability for Bodily Injury and Property Damage Per Accident: $1,000,000

Certificate Requirements / Notice of Cancellation:
The Contractor shall direct its insurer to provide a Certificate of Insurance to the Town of Glastonbury before any work is performed. The Certificate shall specify that the Town of Glastonbury shall receive 30 days advance written notice of cancellation or non-renewal. The Certificate shall evidence all required coverage, including the Additional Insured and Waiver of Subrogation.

Hold Harmless Clause:
To the fullest extent permitted by law, the Contractor shall indemnify and hold harmless the Town and its consultants, agents, and employees from and against all claims, damages, losses and expenses, direct, indirect or consequential (including, but not limited to, fees and charges of engineers, attorneys and other professionals, and court and arbitration costs) arising out of or resulting from the performance of the Contractor’s work, provided that such claim, damage, loss, or expense is caused in whole or in part by any negligent act or omission by the Contractor, any person or organization directly or indirectly employed or engaged by the Contractor to perform or furnish either of the services, or anyone for whose acts the Contractor may be liable, regardless of whether or not it is caused in part by a party indemnified hereunder.