Glastonbury Gives – COVID-19 Update
During this challenging time, many members of our community are in need of emergency food and the Glastonbury Gives program is making a concerted effort to meet the increased demand.
To minimize social contact, Social Services is currently seeking MONETARY DONATIONS to the Food Bank in lieu of non-perishable food items. Fiscal donations provide the opportunity to purchase grocery gift cards and minimize social contact with others as well as the food items themselves.
To support Glastonbury Gives and help prevent hunger in our community, your monetary contributions are welcome and appreciated. Checks should be made out to “Glastonbury Gives” and left in the Tax Drop box at Town Hall, the Drop box at the entrance to the Academy building, or mailed to:
PO Box 6523
ATTN: FOOD BANK
Glastonbury, CT 06033
Please wash your hands thoroughly before writing/assembling the check and envelope and be sure to write “Food bank” on the envelope and in the check memo line. Donors will receive a letter acknowledging their contribution for tax purposes.
Glastonbury Gives is an initiative created by Glastonbury Social Services. Glastonbury Gives assists residents experiencing a crisis situation, hindering their ability to pay for food, utility bills, shelter costs, medical expenses, and other critical needs. It is funded entirely by contributions from generous individuals, businesses, and community groups; with 100% of donations going directly to residents in need.
Current Social Service Programs in Need of Help:
- Food Bank
- Fuel Bank
- Special Programs (This fund currently provides for one-time emergency grants, as well as, supports the Back-to-School Program, the Re-gifting Program, the Thanksgiving Food Program and the Holiday Gift Program.
How Can I Help?
Donations of money are welcome and appreciated! Monetary donations are kept separate from the General Fund and managed by the Town’s Financial Administration Department. Checks should be made out to “Glastonbury Gives” and may be mailed or dropped off to the Riverfront Community Center, 300 Welles Street, Glastonbury, CT 06033. All donors receive an acknowledgement of their donation and all monetary donations are tax deductible.
Food and Toiletries Donations
Glastonbury Social Services operates a Food Bank which distributes non-perishable food items, toiletries, and other basic supplies to Glastonbury residents who are experiencing difficult times. The Food Bank is supported solely by donations from individuals, families, groups and businesses.
Donations may be brought to the Human Services office at the Riverfront Community Center, 300 Welles Street. The Riverfront Community Center is open Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, from 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.; Tuesdays and Thursdays from 8:00 a.m. - 8:30 p.m.; and Saturdays from 9:00 a.m. – 3:30 p m. For suggestions on items most often needed, please see the Food Bank Suggestions List. Please note, the Food Bank accepts only non-expired, non-perishable items.
Glastonbury Social Services holds several programs for families with children who are experiencing financial difficulties. These programs are entirely dependent on community donations and the items collected are outlined below:
- Back-to-School Program – provides backpacks and school supplies for children in Kindergarten through 12th grade. Donations of new, unused backpacks are accepted in the beginning of August.
- Re-Gifting Program – Donated gifts are collected and assembled into gift baskets for children from low-income households to choose for the significant adults in their lives for Mother’s and Father’s Day. Donations of new and unused gifts are accepted in April.
- Thanksgiving Food Program – Financial donations are accepted for the purchase of grocery store gift cards to provide to families to prepare their own favorite Thanksgiving meals. Non-perishable food items to supplement the grocery store gift cards are always welcomed.
- Holiday Gift Program – Donors will be anonymously matched with the wish list of a child, ages infant through 18. The donors can then shop for these items and return them to the Riverfront Community Center for distribution. Financial donations and store gift cards will be used to fill unmatched wish lists. Donors can register here.
For more information, please call Social Services at (860) 652-7638.