Click HERE for smoke alarm tips
A home fire impacts the life of an American family every 85 seconds. By providing an early warning and critical extra seconds to escape, smoke alarms cut in half your family’s risk of dying in a home fire — but only if they work. So, when you turn your clocks back on November 2, also make a lifesaving change in your household — change the batteries in your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors. This simple habit takes just a moment, but is the best defense your family has against the devastating effects of a home fire. This reminder to Change Your Clock Change Your Battery® comes from Energizer® batteries, your local fire marshal, and the International Association of Fire Chiefs.
10 Simple Home Fire Safety Tips:
1. Practice smoke-alarm maintenance for a simple, effective way to reduce home fire deaths.
2. A simple reminder from the International Association of Fire Chiefs and Energizer Max® brand batteries: When you change your clocks, change the battery in your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors. This can help save lives.
3. Test your smoke alarms monthly to make sure they are working.
4. Have at least one working smoke alarm on each level of your home.
5. Plan, discuss and practice a fire escape route with your family.
6. Do not rely on your sense of smell to alert you that you and your family are in danger of being trapped during a fire.
7. Be sure not to ignore the chirping sound your smoke alarm makes when maintenance is required.
8. Keep fire-starting materials away from children, including lighters, matches, cigarettes, cigars and pipes.
9. Use flashlights rather than candles to light your home during power outages.
10. Space heaters need space. Portable space heaters need a three-foot (one meter) clearance from anything that can burn and should always be turned off when leaving the room or going to sleep.
“Change Your Clock Change Your Battery®” program created by Energizer and the International Association of Fire Chiefs. Energizer, Energizer Bunny design, “Change Your Clock Change Your Battery” and other marks are trademarks of Energizer. ©2008 Energizer