Natural Resource Conservation, Environmental Management & Wetlands


Information on Glastonbury's natural resources, environmental management of development projects and inland wetlands can be obtained from the Office of Community Development.  (Also see the Health Department; for recycling, see Refuse Disposal.)  The Environmental Planner provides support services to the Conservation Commission/Inland Wetlands and Watercourses Agency (IWWA).

Questions commonly asked about conservation, the environment, natural resources and wetlands include:

What is a conservation easement?

A conservation easement is an agreement reflecting a specific area of a property (ies) that is to remain UNTOUCHED by the property owner (or anyone else for that matter) – Mother Nature is left to manage it. If you have a concern or safety issue regarding a conservation easement, the Environmental Planner must be contacted before any course of action is taken. A copy of the conservation easement agreement specific to your property has been filed in the land records in the Office of the Town Clerk.

Please explain wetlands permits.

A wetlands permit or other means of approval is required for any type of proposed activity within a wetland or watercourse or the wetlands 100-foot or 150-foot (depending on location) upland review area. Depending on the level of disturbance and potential impact upon the wetland and/or watercourse, a duly authorized wetlands agent may approve a proposed activity through a process not requiring action by the Inland Wetlands and Watercourses Agency.