To employ practices which increase the overall fleet fuel efficiency and utilize alternative fuels and means of transport that reduce vehicular emissions and dependence on petroleum products.
- Converted Allison automatic transmissions in new vehicles to fully synthetic fluids, replacing petroleum-based products.
- Established average fuel efficiency goals for the Town’s
- Assigned fleet sedans so that the most fuel-efficient vehicles are
those driven most frequently.
- Established anti-idling practices for all Town-owned vehicles.
- Utilize bio-diesel fuel for Town vehicles, saving consumption of approximately 2,750 gallons of diesel fuel annually.
- Inflated Town vehicle tires with pure nitrogen to better maintain proper tire pressure and optimize fleet fuel efficiency.
- Installed a compressed natural gas fueling station at the Riverfront Community Center to fuel Dial-A-Ride vans and sedans used to transport seniors. $
- Incorporated alternative fuel vehicles to the Town fleet, including compressed natural gas sedans and gas/electric hybrids.
- Recycle fleet-generated waste oil, antifreeze, used batteries, parts, and washing fluids via outside vendor.
- Retread tires, where practicable.
- Utilize multi-use vehicles and trailers by Highway staff to transport staff and materials to job sites, minimizing fuel consumption.
- Installed a GPS-based automated vehicle location system to improve route choices and eliminate unnecessary idling, thereby reducing fuel consumption.
- Installed ground speed spreader controls on new snow/ice removal equipment, thereby optimizing application rates of treated road salt.
- Installed LED warning lights on Police vehicles to reduce electrical draw and the need to idle vehicles during use.
- Installed fuel saving devices in selected Police vehicles to automatically minimize the idle time necessary to operate auxiliary vehicle functions. $
- Implemented usage of a treated road salt product in place of sand/salt mixture. Efficiencies gained include reductions in street sweeping and catch basin cleaning efforts in addition to fuel consumption reductions due to product effectiveness.
- Utilization of bicycles and motorcycles by Police Department.
$ = Includes Supplemental Funding (i.e. grants, rebates, incentives, etc.)
Related Glastonbury Goes Green Bulletins
|Issue No.||Title||department of issue||description|
|1||Green Fleets||Vehicle Maintenance||Alternative Fuel Vehicles|
|4||Fuel Misers||Police||Anti-Idle Devices for Police Cruisers|
|10||Deice Age||Highway||Green Winter Roadway procedures for Snow and Ice Control|
|12||Green Route||Highway||GPS Units Improve Vehicle Routes|
|13||Green Lights||Highway||LED Traffic Lights|