COVID19 Update from Eversource
The following notice was received by Eversource this week, regarding their actions related to COVID-19.
Eversource has been monitoring COVID-19 closely and is working proactively to address the concerns of our employees, customers, and the communities we serve with one overarching goal: to ensure we continue to provide the safe, reliable and essential service that customers need during this unprecedented time.
Our Customer Commitment
We recognize that many customers will be facing challenges in the days and weeks ahead, so we have taken the following steps:
- To decrease any financial hardship our customers are facing due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we have postponed disconnections for nonpayment for residential and business customers across our electric, natural gas, and water operations. Our customer service team is available to help customers with financial programs we offer, such as setting up a payment plan.
- We have online and mobile tools to help customers conduct business with us as usual, including customer service agents to speak with by phone. Our mobile app, available in the App Store and Google Play, allows customers to easily check their account, pay their bill and more at their convenience.
- The COVID-19 outbreak has led to an increase in scam activity. We have posted information on our website, www.eversource.com, reminding customers to be wary of any unsolicited calls that threaten to disconnect their utility service and that demand payment by unusual means. Eversource will never ask a customer for personal information over the phone in this manner and does not accept payments via gift cards or other common tools used by scammers. Also, customers should be aware that – as previously mentioned – we have suspended disconnections for nonpayment across our utility operations.
- Please visit our website, www.eversource.com, for the latest COVID-19 Eversource customer information. Customers are also encouraged to call and speak with a customer service representative at 800-286-2000.
Adjustments to Our Operations
We develop and update our business continuity and pandemic plans on an annual basis and are currently operating under our emergency pandemic plan. Among other things, this allows us to focus our resources where they are needed most -- ensuring the smooth and stable operation of our electric, natural gas and water operations. We are:
- Curtailing any nonessential planned electric outage work.
- Continuing to plan for brief and targeted electric outages only when they are required to perform critical work to ensure reliability.
- Curtailing non-critical field work in our gas operations that requires access to homes or businesses.
- Making sure all our field resources and support staff continue to be at the ready in the event of a storm or other disruption not related to COVID-19.
Throughout this evolving situation, we are committed to safeguarding the health and safety of our customers, our employees, and the communities we serve, and ensuring that we continue to reliably provide our essential energy services.