The Senior and Social Services divisions of the Human Services Department have several programs which welcome donations, gifts and contributions. Some programs depend completely on donations and contributions, like the Food Bank and Fuel Bank; while others utilize donations in order to provide special programs and purchase special furnishings or equipment, like the Senior Center and Dial-A-Ride.
The following list demonstrates the many possibilities for contributing to the many programs and services provided by Senior and Social Services in order to enhance the lives of Glastonbury residents:
Donations of money are welcomed, and can be designated for certain programs. The money is placed in an account managed by the town’s Financial Administration, but is kept separate from the General Fund. It may only be used for the purpose for which it was designated by the donor.
Checks should be written to “Town of Glastonbury” and the memo should specify to which fund the donation should go. At the time of the donation, a Donation Slip should also be completed by the donor. This ensures that the donation will be deposited into the correct fund, for the purpose intended by the donor, and that the donor receives an acknowledgement of the donation. All monetary donations are tax deductible.
Donations may be given in memory of someone, as a celebration of good fortune, as a thank-you for services rendered “above and beyond” what is reasonably expected, as a way to provide services or programs for persons experiencing difficult financial times, or to enhance the lives of others through special senior center programs or activities.
Current funds receiving donations:
- Fuel Bank
- Discretionary Fund (provides for one-time, emergency grants)
- Food Bank
- Holiday Fund - This fund currently supports the Back-to-School Program, the Regifting Program, the Thanksgiving Food Program and the Holiday Toy Shop.
- Friendship Circle
- Resident Services – provides programming at subsidized Senior Housing sites
- Senior Center Programs
- Senior Services
For more information concerning making a monetary donation to the Human Service Department for any purpose, please call 860-652-7638.
Food and Toiletries Donations
Glastonbury Social Services operates a Food Bank which distributes non-perishable food items, toiletries, and other basic supplies to Glastonbury residents who are experiencing difficult financial times and have an emergency need for these items. The Food Bank is supported solely by donations from individuals, families, groups and businesses. Donations may be brought to the Human Services office at the Riverfront Community Center, 300 Welles St., Glastonbury. Donations are accepted Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. Donors will be asked to complete a Donation Slip.
For suggestions on items most often needed, please see the Food Bank Suggestions List . Donated items must be non-perishable, cans must be without dents and food must be within the date shown on the food product. Thank you for sharing with others!
Glastonbury Social Services holds several programs for families with children who are experiencing financial difficulties. These programs depend completely on donations from the community. These programs and the items collected for them are as follows:
- Back-to-School Program – provides backpacks and school supplies for children in Kindergarten through 12th grade. Collection is held in the beginning of August.
- Regifting Program – Donated unused and unwanted gifts are collected and assembled into gift baskets for needy children to choose for the significant adults in their lives for Mother’s and Father’s Day. Collection is held in Feb., March and April.
- Thanksgiving Food Program – Ingredients for a traditional Thanksgiving meal are collected during the beginning of November, to be assembled in packages for families who may not otherwise be able to enjoy a “Thanksgiving feast.” Grocery store gift cards are also provided so perishable items may be purchased. Collection is held in the beginning weeks of November.
- Holiday Toy Shop – New and unopened toys, books, games, puzzles, sports equipment and other holiday gifts for children ages infant through 18 are collected in the beginning of December. Donations of gift cards to stores are also gratefully accepted, as they enable parents to buy that special gift, or they can give gift cards to their older children to shop for themselves. Grocery Store gift cards are also given to enable families to purchase a special meal for the holiday.
For suggestions on items most often needed, or gift suggestions, please click on this link to the Seasonal Donations Suggestions List (Back-to-School Program, Thanksgiving Food Program, Holiday Toy Shop). Donors will be asked to complete a Donation Slip.
For more information on making donations of items, or to organize a collection of items, please call Social Services at 860-652-7638, or email the Social Work Coordinator, email@example.com.