Over the past two years, the Town of Glastonbury has implemented several measures aimed at improving fleet fuel efficiency and reducing fleet emissions. Measure include, but have not been limited to:
- Use of biodiesel fuels throughout the fleet.
- Purchase of gas/electric hybrid vehicles.
- Installation of a compressed natural gas fueling station and associated purchase of natural gas fueled vehicles.
- Fleet vehicle tires are filled with pure nitrogen to better maintain proper air pressure.
- Issuance of an administrative policy regarding fleet fuel efficiency.
- Establishment of fleet fuel efficiency goals and consideration of vehicular fuel efficiency in determining low bid awards.