What is Storm Ready?
Storm Ready focuses on improving communication and preparedness in communities.
Storm Ready prepares communities for all severe weather from tornadoes to tsunamis.
Storm Ready provides communities with detailed and clear guidance to improve their warning and preparedness programs.
Is your community Storm Ready?
The Town of Glastonbury is. Did you know that Glastonbury is the 2nd town in the State of Connecticut to become recognized as Storm Ready? In September of 2006, officials from the Town of Glastonbury and the State of Connecticut attended a special event to celebrate the work efforts and honor of becoming recognized as Storm Ready by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).
What is the recognition process?
Community applies in writing Local board reviews Local board performs verification visit Press conference/recognition
Storm Ready recognition is for 2 years. Community must renew to remain Storm Ready. Insurance Services Organization grants Storm Ready communities rating points…potentially reducing flood insurance rates
How Does a Community Become Storm Ready?
1. Establish Communication and Coordination
• 24 Hour Warning Point
• Emergency Operations Center
2 Receive critical warning information
• NOAA Weather Radio
• NOAA Weather Wire
• Emergency Managers Weather Information Network
• News Media
3 Monitor evolving weather
• Weather instruments
• River gage monitoring
• Radar access (NWS, local, internet)
4 Disseminate warnings
• Cable override
• NOAA Weather Radio in Sirepublic buildings
• Other systems unique to the area
5. Increase preparedness
• Spotter and dispatcher training
• Public safety presentations
6. Enhance internal procedures
• Review of hazardous weather action plan