Applying for a Building Permit

Important Permit Update!

The Office of the State Building Inspector (OSBI) and the Office of the State Fire Marshal (OSFM) have approved the 2016 State Building Code and 2016 State Fire Safety Code and will be effective for all permit applications made on or after October 1, 2016. For the next 3-4 months, projects with designs based on the 2005 codes, in progress before October, may apply for a modification if meeting the 2016 codes is impractical. Requests after that time must have a substantial, documented reason for the request, such as a delay in land use approvals, funding problems, etc.  The SBC includes the 2012 ICC family of codes, the 2009 Edition of ICC/ANSI AS117.1 for accessibility, and the 2014 National Electrical Code, with CT amendments.  The SFSC includes portions of the 2012 International Fire Code as Part III, and the existing buildings portions of the 2012 NFPA 101 as Part VI, with CT amendments.

The CT amendment documents can be downloaded from their websites: OSBI Web Site and OSFM Web Site.

Building Permits

The Glastonbury Building Department requires a building permit to construct or alter any building or structure in compliance with the minimum requirements of the Ct state building codes and in accordance with the plans and specifications submitted with your application. Permits are not required for  normal maintenance and minor repairs. 

Items that require a permit may include but not limited to:

  • Buildings, additions and renovations

  • New siding; replacement windows

  • Accessory garages and sheds

  • Pools, decks, porches, hot tubs

  • New roofs or re-roof (more than 25% area)

  • Replacement boilers/furnaces/water heaters

  • Adding to heating system

  • New/replacement air conditioning

  • Adding/Moving/replacing plumbing fixtures

  • New electrical circuits; service changes

Permit fees are based on the estimated value of the work being done. This includes labor and materials. If you are not paying for one or both of these items a fair value is still required. The fees are $17.26 per $1000.00 or any part there of.  Permit applications are available on line.


What information do I need to submit to obtain a permit?

The Town of Glastonbury offers two methods for applying for a Building Permit.  Applications can be submitted in person at Town Hall, 2155 Main Street, Third Floor, or online at .  To submit an application online, click to the site and follow the instructions.

To submit an application in person, a completed building permit application and some or all of the items below depending on the type of permit you are applying for, should be sent to the Building Division– 3rd floor Town Hall—860-652-7521

For new Construction - 4 copies of a building plot plan certified A-2 by a Professional Engineer or Land Surveyor. If a septic system is proposed, certification by a Professional Engineer is required. The building plot plan shall contain the building footprint together with driveway location, utility location, building setbacks, erosion control measures and any relevant notes, conditions or requirements of the subdivision approval that created the lot. The plot plans will be circulated for review and approval by the Engineering Division, Community Development Division and Health Department (if well and/ or septic system installation is proposed).

For Additions, alterations, accessory structures, or pools -  1 copy of the plot plan for the subject property containing the location of the addition or accessory structure, to determine zoning compliance. Based on the actual location of the proposed addition or accessory structure, the Building Division may require submittal of a plot plan certified A-2 by a Professional Engineer or Land Surveyor.
If the project involves an addition to the residence or the finishing of unfinished space, 1 copy of building construction plans to scale, dimensioned and with sufficient information to provide for full code compliance review by the Building Division.

Other items - 1 copy of a completed model energy code compliance statement. The energy code software is available at
- copy of workers compensation insurance certificate or notarized waiver
- CT. Home improvement contractors lic.
- Estimated costs for the project Structural (everything that is not plmb, elec., or hvac), Plumbing, Electrical, HVAC

Plot plans for building additions or new accessory structures will be circulated for review and approved by the Community Development Division - Environmental Planner, and Health Department (if well or septic system modification is involved). Circulation time is approx. 7 to 10 days.

Individual permit applications are also required for associated 1) plumbing, 2) electrical, and 3) heating , ventilation and/ or air conditioning.