Mosquito Control for Homeowners
Avoid Mosquito Bites
- Mosquitoes are most active in the evening and early morning hours.
- Avoid shaded, humid areas with little or no breeze.
- Avoid tall grasses/weeds.
- Wear light-colored, loose fitting clothing--long sleeves and long pants.
- Use appropriate chemical repellents. Those containing one of the following work best.
- Oil of lemon eucalyptus
Eliminate Breeding Sites
|Potential Breeding Sites||Examples||Solution|
|Swimming Pools||Abandoned||Properly fill or tear down.|
|Active||Maintain sanitizers and filters|
|Wading/children||Empty after each use and store upside down|
|Containers||Old tires, pet bowls, buckets, flower pot saucers, bottles, cans, tire swings, garbage cans/lids, rain barrels/basins||Keep empty, remove or cover|
|Any area where water can collect in a stagnant situation||Ditches||Clear debris and keep drained.|
|Low areas/ruts||Fill with dirt and reseed.|
|Bird baths||Empty frequently.|
|Fountains||Maintain water circulation|
|Ornamental water garden||Stock with mosquito-eating fish|
|Ponds, creeks, lakes||Minimize plant growth and maintain water circulation|
|Boats||Store covered or upside down.|
|Leaking water spigots||Repair leaks, maintain spigots.|
|Clogged gutters||Clean and maintain regularly|
|Tree rot holes, hollow stumps||Fill hole or remove tree/stump.|
|Catch basins||Use mosquito dunks.|