To reduce the amount of waste generated and maximize the amount of materials recycled as practicable.
Sampling of past Town Activities as related to Recycling Programs:
- Redesigned recycling brochure and program information located on the Town website and worked with private haulers to implement single stream recycling program. More Info
- Implemented Town-wide recycling programs for residents and businesses and received recycling rebate of $33,000 ($10 per ton) from Connecticut Resources Recovery Authority (CRRA). $
- Hosted regional electronics recycling program with CRRA.
45,203 pounds of electronics were recycled. More Info
- Implemented brush grinding recycling program at Bulky Waste facility.
- Chip up wood waste for erosion control and resurfacing trails throughout Town parks.
- Salvage tree lumber for sale to residents.
- Reclaim asphalt pavement by grinding for use on various
- Crush stone and concrete construction materials at Bulky Waste for reuse on various Town projects.
- Provide household hazardous waste collection and disposal program for residents. More Info
- Enhanced composting program, including the recycling of grass and leaves to produce screened compost products for public use.
- Provide recycling containers for Goodwill and Salvation Army at the Town’s transfer station along with a “Put & Take” area for residents.
- Implemented procedures for Town staff to recycle drink containers and paper products in Town facilities.
$ = Includes Supplemental Funding (i.e. grants, rebates, incentives, etc.)
Related Glastonbury Goes Green Bulletins
|Issue No.||Title||department of issue||description|
|3||Green Scene||Sanitation||Regional Hazardous Household Waste Disposal|
|17||Wood Re-use||Sanitation||Recycling of Tree Lumber|