Sustainability Mission: Glastonbury will embrace sustainable public policy and serve as a leader in the employment of sustainable practices and techniques while providing the highest level of municipal services and facilities to the community in ways that protect the natural and built environment for current and future generations.
In 2018, Sustainable CT selected the Town of Glastonbury as one of 5 communities statewide to receive the prestigious Silver Level Sustainable Communities Certification. Click here to view the certification report. 2018 was the first year of the program and Glastonbury was among only 22 communities to receive program recognition for completing sustainable action items in 10 diverse categories and earning 495 points. (400 required for the Silver award).
The following documents were submitted as part of Glastonbury's Sustainable CT certification and provide a helpful overview of a selection of the Town's Sustainable initiatives, practices, and ongoing strategies:
- Sustainable Purchasing Policy
- Complete Streets Policy
- C-PACE Resolution
- Glastonbury's Tobacco Use Policies
Strategy and Planning:
Sustainable Projects and Initiatives:
- Hebron Ave/New London Turnpike Roundabout Project Overview
- Hebron/House St. Roundabout Project Overview
- Multi-Use Trail Overview
- Main Street Sidewalks Overview
- C-PACE Projects in Town
- Energy Star Profiles for Glastonbury Facilities
- Overview of Recycled Materials beyond what's mandated by the state
- Rose's Berry Farm - Project Summary (innovative action)
- The Tannery - Project Summary (innovative action)
- Sustainability Event 2018- Description
- Glastonbury's Tobacco Reduction Campaign
- Excessive Idling Campaign
- Watershed Pledge
Resources and Data:
- Natural Resources and Wildlife Inventory
- EV Charging Stations Map
- Local and Regional Data on Tobacco Use
Glastonbury's Green Initiatives are covered in 6 major categories.
- Energy Efficiency
- Natural Resource Conservation & Management
- Potential and Future Initiatives
- Procurement and Work Practices
- Transportation (Fleet and Highway)
- Waste Reduction and Recycling
Additional Helpful Links:
- Buy Local Produce at Glastonbury's farms
- C-PACE (Commercial Property Assessed Clean Energy)
- Energy Saving Resources for Residents
- EPA Guidelines for Green Building
- Low Impact Development Information & Resources
For case studies on green Town projects, please click read previously published Glastonbury Goes Green Bulletins.
Glastonbury's Green Initiatives program operates under the direction of the Town Manager. The committee is chaired by the Purchasing Agent and the Superintendent of Sanitation. Committee members from across Town departments participate and contribute ideas and suggestions committed to a "greener" community. The committee assembles information about products and services and makes the information available to specific departments that can evaluate them and develop applications in Town projects with the approval of the Town Manager.
For further information, or to make a suggestion for a green initiative, please contact Mary Visone, Purchasing Agent, at (860) 652-7588 or Mike Bisi, Superintendent of Sanitation, at (860) 652-7772.